Cob: cob mix

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 9 07:58:12 CST 2002

Unfired clay IS brittle. It works as cob when it is nice and thick.

Silt is pretty nasty (It makes a non-draining puddle just the way clay does,
and I've floated my truck in it. eeeuw.  not to mention tow truck time).

Do you know a potter?  Someone who throws pots or does slab building pieces
(as opposed to slip-molded ceramics)?  Go and ask to play with a chunk of
clay--rolling it into coils, coiling them to make a pot.

Do you have enough SAND in your mix? (the guys doing "ceramics" from slip
have almost none--potters have lots of sand or ground fired clay, I gather
that cob builders have even more)

Natalie wrote:
I did do some bricks with srtaw and they were better but still brittle. I
got the clay from the local brickworks, they had 2 types the white one,
which they said was the best and an orange coloured one. Maybe I must go
back and ask them for the orange clay. I am going to try the different
methods you have suggested. I did make a thicker brick and that was much
stronger. I will let you know.