Cob: Another Question

Kim West kwest at arkansas.net
Thu Dec 5 22:18:27 CST 2002

Hi Amanda. Thanks for responding. I've heard about
using buried pieces of wood to wire the roof to. I've never
seen any built that way in person. Have you? I'm just
curious as to how well it works, and wonder if there
are any specifics I should know should I decide to go that
route. So far all I'm certain about is burying keyed,
home-made I-beams in the top of the wall. Will this be
sufficient for holding the roof on or should I also
tie it down? I apologize if I put you off with all
these questions. I just want to be certain that,
once I begin to build, I do it right! After finding
that it will cost up to $800 to use concrete in my
foundation to supplement the rocks, I did consider
going the route of using busted up, used concrete.
I haven't gotten around to checking on the availability
yet, though, since I am just now recovering from a case
of the flu.
Thanks again for the input. I appreciate it!
Kim
Amanda wrote:
I haven't.  Have considered burying deadmen in the
cob on the way up to hold
down the roof?  With cable or wood coming out to the
top.

I'd take a look at the bricks. They look fine in the
pictures, but sometimes
they flake.  I'd be happier with the roof tied to the
building, not the
ground, I think.

Is there enough building/demolition in town that
people looking to dispose
of old concrete foundations, broken block, and so on,
could give you a dump
truck load or two?  Better than paying for the
landfill on their part.

Have you considered a "rubble trench foundation"
Much lower in large raw
materials.

Big stone?  neighbor's tractor, pulled or pushed with
loader?  rolled end
over end with large levers?

Kim asked:
I have another question for the nice folks here! Has
anyone tried, or
considered trying, using mobile home tie downs to
help hold the roof on?

Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months
FREE*.