Cob: EcoDwelling Program

Joseph Kennedy livingearth62 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 6 17:23:26 CST 2002

Hello fellow cobbers,

Just wanted to let you know that there is an accredited program where you
can "major" in natural building and ecological design.  And we do a lot of
cobbing!

Please contact me directly for more information.

Joe Kennedy

The EcoDwelling Program is still accepting applications for Spring Semester,
starting in January.
Please contact Joe Kennedy for more information.
707 869-1093
jkennedy at newcollege.edu

EcoDwelling:

A New College of California - North Bay
BA and MA Program Concentration

EcoDwelling is a 3-semester Concentration offered through New College of
California North Bay Campus’s (Santa Rosa) Culture, Ecology and Sustainable
Community program.  It offers accredited BA completion and MA degrees.

The EcoDwelling Concentration is a holistic approach to dwelling in the
broadest sense – encompassing the very nature of existence and being – and
the entire process by which we inhabit our ecosystems and the planet.  It is
concerned with the causes of our current dwelling process failure, the
principles of success, and the application of principles in the design of
equitable, sustainable, universally affordable alternatives.  The
Concentration provides students with an opportunity to implement vision,
theory and design as their own radically affordable, sustainable means of
dwelling.  And to then develop a project of their own choice that might help
facilitate success for others as well.

The EcoDwelling Concentration is intended for anyone with an interest in any
aspect of the dwelling process and its relationship to the whole.  It is
intended for anyone interested in discovering how to make their own way and
means of dwelling more affordable, sustainable and liberating – thereby
being able to help others do the same.  As awareness of our collective
crisis increases, the need for those who can recognize, understand, and
implement sustainable alternatives will be substantial.

EcoDwelling Concentration Coordinators

Steve Beck MArch, is a designer and inventor.  He has trained as an
architect and Buddhist monk, and holds a Master of Architecture degree from
the University of Washington.  Over a 15-year period he designed, built and
lived in (full time) a series of tiny portable solar houses, none of which
cost more than $1,200 (several considerably less).

Joseph F. Kennedy has degrees in architecture and peace studies from UC
Berkeley, SCI-Arc, and the University of Notre Dame, Joe has been involved
at the forefront of the natural building movement for the last 15 years.  He
is co-editor of The Art of Natural Building (New Society 2002) and editor of
the upcoming Building without Borders (New Society 2003).

Application Process

The EcoDwelling Concentration accepts applicants for entry in the Fall
Semester and Spring Semester.  For inquiries contact:
Joe Kennedy
New College of California
99 6th St., Santa Rosa, CA  95401
707 869 1093