Cob: Using Bricks [David]

Kim West kwest at arkansas.net
Mon Dec 9 11:04:03 CST 2002

Hi Dave. I want to thank you for the links you gave. I went to the first one [haven't had time to see the second yet] and it was wonderful!  "Normal" people around here are thinking I am crazy for wanting to build a cob cottage. They think I should build a "better", more modern place. LOL! Me? I tell you, I would try to build my cob place even if I had the money to go modern. I just love the places I've seen online! They are beautiful!

It must have been quite an experience growing up in a log cabin. Must have been labor intensive to do also. Did you all cut and notch your own logs or use pre-cut timbers? A log cabin would be out of the question for us. My husband broke my heart in 1995 when he had this land clear-cut. It is recovering but far from recovered. You might have been able to tell from the pics I have posted. This land was my little paradise before he did that. It has a little spring-fed creek running through it, and it was on the bluff above the creek that we had planned to build. After the trees were cut, the bluff washed away some, but it is still a beautiful spot, just too far to haul all these rocks! LOL!  We went down there yesterday but I forgot to take my camera. Plan to go back today or tomorrow and get some good pics to post online.

I saw a site that spoke of hosting workshops, but I didn't figure they would do it here. If I remember correctly, you had to have already attended one of their workshops to host one; plus I think you have to have the finances to feed 20 or so people. If you know of others who might do it otherwise let me know, ok?

Kim