Cob: Using Bricks [David]

David & Sheila Knapp solar at aeroinc.net
Mon Dec 9 15:15:33 CST 2002

Kim,

I don't want to stray from the topic of cob, but our 12' x 32' cabin was built for ~$4,000 in 1974, including used fixtures & cabinets, wiring, wood stove, etc.  It was all built by hand as the power company refused to bring in the electric lines until we proved to them that a house was going to be built at the end of a 1/2 mile 4x4 only road.  It was paradise, but we had few luxuries and most everything was based on cost, not looks, ha.  I know as a teenager, I cut far too much firewood for it all!

With a cob cabin that size, we would have had to live in town a year longer perhaps, but it would have been worth it for the energy efficiency of heating, etc.  Dad was a mountain man though, so a 13 year old didn't have much say in construction methods, ha.

Kim,

I wouldn't forge any conclusions about holding a workshop until you've actually talked to a half dozen cob guru's in person.  There are even women only cob workshops out there, past ones in your State also I think.  While yes it is a lot of work to put a workshop on, it is worth your while to have a cob expert guide the process if you can.  Anyone wanting great hands-on experience would gladly pay a fee to cover their food, camping, and their share of renting the services of a cob guru.  So don't worry yet about how to finance it until you've talked with enough experts to figure out how they do it themselves.  I'd say they often start out with just an idea and part of the financing comes from the reason many workshops require a partial deposit from each person upfront.  The last workshop I attended, we made a temporary straw bale kitchen & shower house a day ahead of the workshop, with left over bales for everyone to sit & eat on when the bales weren't being used to let the vertically challenged attendees reach the top of the wall where they were building walls.

Dave

I saw a site that spoke of hosting workshops, but I didn't figure they would do it here. If I remember correctly, you had to have already attended one of their workshops to host one; plus I think you have to have the finances to feed 20 or so people. If you know of others who might do it otherwise let me know, ok?

  Kim