Cob: Land

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 10 19:54:27 CST 2002

Friend of mine used to say that the American Ideal was to be able to sit on
your front porch in your underwear with your shotgun over your knees, able,
allowed, and willing to blast at anyone coming up your drive.  He might be
right. But it doesn't say a whole lot about our willingness to share land
with those in need.  Let alone deal with environmental or legal (gee, it's
my land I should be able to grow marijuana or make moonshine or store PCB's
in leaking transformers here) issues.  Or taxes (roads, schools, and so on).

There is a discussion about building on other people's land in The Hand
Sculpted House.  Feasible if one has lots of time, and are good at
scrounging.

We can whine all we want, but I've been reading about places like
Bangladesh, where because it is considered right to divide the family farm
between the heirs, there are a heck of a lot of 1/2 acre FARMS.  Not house
sites, farms.

Graham Cooper wants a discussion of LAND, title, money, and so on. (heavily
paraphrased!)