Cob: Re: Cob insulation idea

jen walker jwalker at magma.ca
Sat Dec 21 17:21:07 CST 2002

Thanks for the info! I had no idea. I'd love to ask you a couple more
questions though...Does this mean you'd build a cob wall, surround it with
say a clay/wood fiber mix, then plaster over that ‹ or ‹ sandwich the slip
between an inner and outer cob wall? If you were wrapping the wall with the
slip, would you have to constuct forms for the clay slip? How thick would
the clay slip have to be to insulate a building that can see -40 degrees
celcius? Is there any literature explaining some of these clay building
systems? As far as I can tell, clay related building workshops seem to
happen thousands of miles from here (Ottawa, Canada) so a reference book
would be great.
thanks again,
jen