Cob: Waterproof covering

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Mon Dec 16 01:28:55 CST 2002

> Natalie Goldsmith wrote:
> Hi
> I have progressed with the project and the cob is perfect even
though
> the bricks were brittle. My final mixture was 1 part clay to 2
sand
> and 1.5 straw. This is a sculpture in my garden and in winter here
we
> get wind driven storms so I need to water proof the cob as it has
no
> roof. I saw a cob sculpture here in the Cape I think it was
covered in
> wax and linseed.
Hemp oil works very well I've heard.  You might mix a little oil in
batch of soil to applay a finish coat with this.  Or try just
applying
oil lightly after you're sure the statue is dry.  Give it some time
sink in then a few other coats or try it with just one.

>I would like to know if anyone has a recipe. I was
>  thinking of lime plastering then covering with wax/linseed.
If you used a lime rendering as the finish coat, you are done.
There's
no need for anything else.

Darel