Cob: Waterproof covering

lightearth at onebox.com lightearth at onebox.com
Mon Dec 16 10:20:14 CST 2002

I've noticed that lime stabilized with with a little clay and linseed oil is something else as far as weathering .... also makes virtual concrete!

On the tinting thing, a hint,,,,,lime is sooooo white that it'll tend to bleach out your colors so you must add far more color then you think you want....we did some that was very nice and med. light green and when we applied it and it dried/cured it was almost white again, with a hint of green, fooled us!

Marlin

==============
<snip>
Subject:  Re: Cob: Waterproof covering

Hi Natalie if you plaster with a clay-tinted lime recipe you won't need
to add anything else, lime is supposed to be out in the weather, and has
been used as a protective and sacrificial  coating for a very long time.

If you don't want a white sculpture then just add enough powdered or
soft clay to the mix to get the color you want. and then limewash with a
clay tinted wash too.  that all...

there is a product called soy-seal too by some folks in the midwest,
 but they have not answered any emails I've sent about their product.

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten (Eureka) CA 95534
707-441-1632     tms at northcoast.com