Cob: tinting lime -Waterproof covering

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Mon Dec 16 14:28:48 CST 2002

Yep the tiniting thing can fool you. I always make lots of sample
"cookies" and keep track of % of clay color.  I have a great sage green
clay, and  even at 1/3 cup clay to 1 cup lime putty it dried to a pale
grey color... not what I wanted at all...
this is where buying pigments is best...you can't add enough clay to
give the color without changing the chemistry of the lime, which you may
not want to do. it's not a bad thing, it makes a natural cement to mix
clay and lime, but it may wear more in the rain.  a pure lime putty will
not.

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten (Eureka) CA 95534
707-441-1632     tms at northcoast.com