[Cob] NC building codes and cob

phil phawn1 at excite.com
Mon Nov 17 09:55:13 CST 2003

There is no code for natural building in NC. Infact, Adobe was taken out of the state building code 7 years ago.

Local building inspectors can approve any structure that they like but rely on an engineers stamp for things of which they have no knowledge. I am only familiar with the western part of the state so I can only comment on this area. In Watauga county there is one permited cob building. Unfortunately it was permited as a workshop and then the owner moved into it to live. Neighbors turned him in and it is basically abandoned now. Earthaven has several cob and cob hybrids but they are permited as agricultural buildings. Their local building inspector has looked the other way in order to help them.

I have had discussions with the inspectors and they are not opposed to natural building, they just don't have accepted engineering data to use as a reference. Our coalitions goal is to get this data into the state building code. I'm told that it will take a while (10 years) but is not impossible. With the cost of an engineer at $70 to $150 dollars an hour, proscribed rules in the building code would be good in the long run.

Phil Hawn, President
The North Carolina Natural Building Coalition
http://naturalbuilder.org
cob, strawbale, cordwood and other sustainable earthbuilding techniques