[Cob] two small questions

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Sat Jan 10 13:24:46 CST 2004

In a message dated 1/9/2004 8:46:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, copper at ekno.com
writes:

> .  I am wondering if anyone has made a
> double paned window like this.

Copper:
       I embedded a double pained window into cob. I anticipated a problem in
that cob shrinks as it dries, and I allowed for this by enclosing the two
pains of glass rigid foam insulation 1 inch thick for a 3 ft by 4 ft double
pained piece of glass. This was not quite enough in that the outer pain of glass
broke. The inner pain is still holding, but at the cracks cold air is causing
condensation on the inner pain of glass which freezes at night melts in the day
and runs down to the sill. It has not been a big problem so far. The sill is
still finished with a brown coat of horse manure and clay so I do not want this
as a permanent arrangement. Soon, however, I am going to put on the color
coat of lime and sand and I will not worry so much about a little water on the
sill. This was put in as a single unit. Piecing together two pains while
building might be a little difficult and putting cob in the joints between pieces of
glass on the inner or outer faces would make them impossible to repair if that
is what you are thinking about.

Ed