[Cob] two small questions

Ms. Copper Harding copper at ekno.com
Fri Jan 9 19:27:11 CST 2004

Hello,

Thanks for the great feedback on my other question ;)

I've read most of the archives and current cob books and I may have
missed the details on these questions, so sorry if I have.

1.  Has anyone built with styrofoam pellets?  Packing pellets. That
is, mixed in with the cob.  Do they reduce the strength of the
building?  Do you think that they would add much insulation?

I'm thinking they might help and are often thrown away.  Unfortunately
I'm not in a place, right now where I can make test bricks and have
access to an engineer's lab to have such a thing tested.  So I'm
looking for basic feedback.

2. I've seen the use of the broken panes of glass set right into the
cob to make excellent windows.  I am wondering if anyone has made a
double paned window like this.  Have there been any moisture
collection problems in between the two glass panes?  For this question
I am hoping someone with a home they've been living in can answer.
These are problems that are likely to develop over time... so..

Thanks to everyone for such well educated, creative and englightening
list!

Copper

     If you can walk, you can dance
     If you can talk, you can sing
           -Zimbabwe saying

save up to 70% on calls, get voicemail & send SMS
ekno - more than a phonecard
http://www.ekno.lonelyplanet.com