[Cob] cob in post and beam

francine fran2000a1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 19:43:06 CST 2004

I am new to the list and have been reading the archives and
lurking quite a bit.  This is the year I want to start my
house, and I plan to learn a lot from everyone here.    The
design of the house I am planning is very similar to one on
cobworks.com website, kate's house. A single story is all I
am planning and hopefully a living roof.  My home is on 3+
acres in the far northeast corner of Mississippi almost in
Tennessee and just a short distance from the Alabama line
also. In the county there are no building permits required
making it possible for me to build what I want.  The
foundation work will begin in April, depending on the rainy
season here.  Hope to get the roof up about the same time.

My site is perfect, southern slope, water is within 40
feet.  Large Clay deposit is just across the road from me
and a very large sand pit is located about 1/8 mile away.
My neighbor has offered all the clay and sand I need.  He
will also be helping me cut trees for my post from his land
and mine. I am very fortunate to have such great people
close by.   I am planning on using poplar, they will be off
the ground like the ones on the cobworks site. Has anyone
used poplar? I also have access to oak and plenty of pine.

 Even tho I have been reading my books for 3 years and
planning, I am not sure I understand post and beam.  Is
Kate's house a post and beam structure?  It appears that
the post are not tied into the cob.  Is this a bad thing,
should I rethink my floorplan and roof design?  I have
spent a lot of time on trying to get things right with the
design. I do plan on consulting a builder friend about the
roof structure before beginning. I welcome any input or
advice from all of you.

=====
God Bless America

Francine