[Cob] Cob workshops in Europe

Robertas Bartasius 4robertas at takas.lt
Sat Jan 17 04:06:03 CST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaanus Viese"

If there are no workshops, maybe there are some experienced persons in the
list who will start building a cob house in the Europe countries during
spring/summer.
-----------------------------
Hi Jaanus,
There are two persons in Lithuania propagating and building with clay:
1. Algimantas Dailidavicius. He is building with light straw- clay mix. With
a help of tractor clay slurry is made, than with special pump (plaster
pump?) it's transported in to the timbering. House frame is buried in the
clay mix. Then straw is added and footstamped. He is making  money on
consultations and helping on the building site, but he knows everything and
can really help to anyone. He built 3 or 4 houses. I've seen one, five years
old. It's big, warm,but I didn't like it. The walls are too straight, the
windows are too standard and there is no any single curved line inside or
outside. Also for this way of building you need at least 3 persons team. I
lost his e-mail, but later will find him anyway.
2. Jonas Juravicius. He is using wood chips, saw dust- lime- clay mix made
with a help of cement mixer. Timbering is also used and, since there is no
house frame, the walls are armed with short (~70 cm) pieces of wood placed
diagonally. As I know he has one unfinished house from last summer, so this
summer he's going to finish it. I plan to visit this building site and to
participate in building for couple of days. He has only phone: +37065367907.
 I'm sure they will have more houses in the nearest future, so there will
always be a chance for you to come and see how it looks here.
My house will start only next summer (2005). I've got a land (1482m2) close
to Vilnius and now fighting for project and building permission. Next will
be electric line, drilled water well and fixing of already built (by
previous owner) foundation. Maybe this autumn I will dig a clay to make it
freeze during next winter and also to make a pond. Best regards. Robertas.