[Cob] cob in post and beam

Buckaroo Bonzai tsuchimono at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 02:12:19 CST 2004

Lance,

The information Darel provided was given by experts in
the field.  There was no comparision data with
concrete so I can't comment on that.   There is no
single % of moisture content as it will fluctuate
somewhat with the  ambient humidity of the air.  It
will not go above a certain point.   But, the experts
say, based on experience in the real world, that the
(at least the old type of heavy iron content nails)
will rust in cob or a wattle and daub.  This knowledge
is at least specific to areaa with a relatively high
humid summer and dry winter environment.

>Furthermore, I can't see how dry concrete which I
>though was not water permiable and dense to hold 20%
>water.  Also I feel that your figure of 4.5% is
simply
>too low for cob.  Would you provide references and
>links to your data for confirmation?  Cob can and
>does get higher than 4.5%, but not >high enough to
>support fermentation of the straw >embedded in it.
>Sorry I don't have the time to get >the figures or
>referrences avail right now.  Some one >else out
there