[Cob] cob in post and beam

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Fri Jan 16 09:01:40 CST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Newberry
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 4:59 PM
To: coblist at deatech.com
Subject: RE: [Cob] cob in post and beam

I have a sort of post and beam stucture with my cob house. Basically what I did was to use logs obtained from my land and put up a roof. It was rather minimal interms on the logs used to support the roof. Once my roof was up I had not problems with rain (or sun on hot days) and build the cob walls up to the roof. This roof itself is going to be somewhat of a form as I have plans to put a cement roof over the slats and roll roofing that currently makes up the roof.

Framing in the roof:
http://gnat3.gnat.net/~goshawk/0624i.htm

Another framing picture:
http://gnat3.gnat.net/~goshawk/0624a.htm

picture of roof:
http://gnat3.gnat.net/~goshawk/1022g.htm

picture from inside with roof on and plastic wrapped around logs before cob is in place.
http://gnat3.gnat.net/~goshawk/1022i.htm
(Note windows show end up embedded in cob.)

now with cob and windows

http://gnat3.gnat.net/~goshawk/0407g.htm

Of course I tired to have the logs go flush with the inner edge of the cob wall. That is not embedded in the middle but to the edge of the cob wall. Plus having it exposed slightly on the inside gives me somewhere to nail and hang stuff too!

Pat Newberry
www.gypsyfarm.com