[Cob] Mendo project this summer

Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Thu Jan 15 12:58:28 CST 2004

  post and beam structure built with Fir trees thinned from the
   property

   combination of cob and strawbale, about 50/50.

   budget: 5k
+++++++++++++++

Hi Orion, you might want to consider light straw clay instead of full bales
in the north wall.

There is a small cabin  16 x 20 locally in Humboldt CA, north of you, with
all LSC walls, looks very nice but the walls are thin.  In a temperate
climate then 8-12 inches may be all you need.

Email me off list and I will send you a few images.  P&B is ideal for LSC or
wood chip clay,depending on your materials at hand.

My friend ( a girl)  built the entire cabin, floor wood/ply,  framing, metal
roof, on-sale DP windows for $4500.  all the labor was by her and a few
friends.  it still needs plastering on each side, but it is admirable she
got so much done.  it is not  a permitted structure and no indoor plumbing.

Less money would have been needed if the floor was earthen, or if more
salvage could have been used, such as wood or older /usedwindows.

so it is a doable project for you, but I am not seeing where the cob is
going .... between posts?

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com