[Cob] Locating land for cob building and septic system issues

dkdale at earthlink.net dkdale at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 21 15:04:53 CST 2004

Hello,

I am relatively new to the list and have some "early in the planning stages" questions - if they are too far from the list topic (I hope not) a private reply is okay.   Or if anyone knows of a more appropriate list let me know.  My cob learning curve seems to be starting with finding a piece of land.

I am looking at a 10 acre piece of land in Lake county, California which has public water, and electricty, but no sewer or septic.   Lake county does not have the "K class" building permit but land is more affordable than in Mendocino. The response to my question of whether installing a septic system on this parcel is possible (I've been told some places are too rocky and it's impossible) was:

"....part of any offer should be with a contingency of a soil survey.  Usually paid for by buyer and refunded by seller at close of successful escrow. cost generally 5k to 15k"

Can I assume the soil survey (and is that the same as a perc test?) is done in part to assure compliance with county/state codes as well as the feasibility of installing a septic system?   Also - it sounds as though I will not be reimbursed the 5-15k if the soils test comes back "negative" and I decide not to buy the land because septic is not feasible.  Does anyone else have experience with these issues?

Finally - does anyone else have experience building with cob or super adobe/earth bags in Lake county, California?

Sorry about all the questions and thanks in advance if anyone has any advice.

Deanne