[Cob] RE: alternative roofing

tim ely timaely at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 03:04:10 CST 2004

I can't remember where I read about this.  For a
living roof you can lay used carpet over your main
support(plywood, planks, lots of sticks, etc.).  On
top of the used carpet lay recycled plastic sheeting.
You could probably find this from painters.  Then
another layer of used carpet on top of that.  That
should work as a water proof layer for a living roof.
The used carpet keeps the plastic from getting torn by
splinters, nails, rocks, sticks, and such.  Since the
uv rays cant reach the plastic, it shouldnt break down
very quickly.  I think I may have read about this from
the earthship people.
Tim