[Cob] post and beam question

orion walker orion_w at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 22 16:20:44 CST 2004

   My question here is: should I build a post and beam structure or not?

   I was thinking post and beam, because it seemed like the best way to
   use strawbale and cob and not have to worry about different loading
   from the roof, settling, etc.

   Second question:  should I really do both straw bale, and cob, or just
   focus on cob?  My thinking here is that I'd like to have the the
   insulation factor on my north side.  temps drop to mid twenties during
   winter, and I want to have a toasty warm house. General thinking
   around here is that a house should be at least R19 to be comfortable
   and efficient.  I wouldn't get that from cob alone would I?

   Thanks for your thoughts,

   -Orion
   Orion Walker
   PO Box 85
   Ukiah CA 95482
   (707)-272-2352

   Help STOP spam with [1]the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*