[Cob] beatles in hard wood

Kim West kwest at arkansas.net
Thu Jan 22 17:40:38 CST 2004

Neither beetles, termites, wood ants, nor bees like cedar--i.e. Eastern
Redcedar. We cut some from our property and used them for posts for a fence
in 1990, and it took them 10 years to rot at the ground level. Even then
only the very small ones rotted all the way through. The larger ones had
started to rot where they contacted the soil, but were still good for the
intended purpose. None of them showed signs of  decay in any place other
than where they touched the soil. Even underground they were still intact.
They were in direct contact with the ground and we didn't use any cement,
gravel, or anything else--just dug a hole, put them in, and filled it back
up. Can't say how the bugs feel about the other junipers that are also
called cedars, though.

Kim