[Cob] foundation near trees

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 26 14:42:46 CST 2004

Still might not be great for your tree roots--sinking them too deep, keeping
water away from them, etc.  And, around here, oaks sometimes get
heart-rot--suddenly fall over, hollow inside.  If it's something you HAVE to
do, try putting a deck, (non-treated?) wood with gaps for rain, out over the
drip line of the tree. the main house well away.  With a pergola if you want
the illusion of enclosed space.

Consider Christopher Alexander's idea.  Are you trying to build your house
next to the trees because it's the "most beautiful place" on your property
and the house would look great there?  Not, according to him, a wonderful
idea because you'll still be inside looking out a lot.  Better to site your
house so that you will be LOOKING AT the most beautiful place from INSIDE
the house.

(signed--the person who bought a house in Nashville because of the nice
roses in the yard.   They all died a year or three later.  They were
replaced with pretty bullet-proof ones later on.  I am also a veteran of one
really awful ice storm.)

earlier thread--herb and orion:
Sure. If you can't go down, raise the ground. Build it on grade and pile
earth up around it on the outside.

herb at medicinehill.net