[Cob] foundation near trees

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 27 07:19:46 CST 2004

Looks like Elizabeth sent this just to me.  So I'll pass it on, especially
since she agreed with me.

I'd never seen that Israeli pattern language site before.  Glad to.  Even if
I do rather enjoy the classic diner coffee cup design.

She's right the Pattern Language site is a totally disorganized mess, almost
as bad as my favorites list.

The Small House bit is available to non-subscribers.  If that doesn't get
it, I can fish it out for you.
Orion:  I think I agree with Amanda here:

 >Consider Christopher Alexander's idea. Are you trying to build your house
 >next to the trees because it's the "most beautiful place" on your property
 >and the house would look great there? Not, according to him, a wonderful
 >idea because you'll still be inside looking out a lot. Better to site your
 >house so that you will be LOOKING AT the most beautiful place from INSIDE
 >the house.

Make the trees a focal point for the landscape and garden.  Think of them as
the focal point for an "outdoor room".

Or is the lot so small that you have to build up against the trees?

She mentioned Christopher Alexander--take a look at some the information on
the Pattern Language site (which expands on the concepts in his book
"Pattern Language").
Some of the material on the site is only available to subscribers but I know
the first link at least is available to anyone (but the $5/month
subscription is quite reasonable, and it gives you access to all the
"patterns" from the Pattern Language book, which is very expensive in print.
  The site does have broken links and missing pages in sections, which is
disappointing.

MOSHAV SHORASHIM:  HANDBOOK FOR HOUSE DESIGN
http://www.patternlanguage.com/leveltwo/archivesframe.htm?/leveltwo/../archives/israel/israel.htm

Placing house volume:
http://www.patternlanguage.com/volume/volumeframe.htm?/leveltwo/../volume/volumetable.htm

One Small House