[Cob] foundation near trees

Mike Swink mswink77 at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 27 11:26:28 CST 2004

The most common water problem with homes that have basements and crawl
spaces come from the simple fact that they forget how plants,trees add to
the water table.

What was the outer most edge of a tree is called...drip line??
Trees will grow in over all width and soon add to water shed in yards. The
basements will be dry for years then slowley as shrubs are placed near the
home which acts and sponges and the water from trees can actually be the
cause of many of problems.

 Moisture is the most major concern in the building of a home.
A good roof is one that does not absorb water and weight to home.
A good landscape is one that sheds water to desired location.
A good healthy home is one that does not plant trees shrubs etc to attract
moisture.

 Trees that provide wind breaks,fruit,and income are best left away  from
home at a distance. Over hangs of roofs serve as sheild from summer
sunlight. In ga 2ft overhang is enough. Roots of shrubs and trees PIPE water
to surrounding soil. Soil next to home should be intact and not undermined
by moisture or lateral hydrostatic pressures. It only brings bugs and mold
and the cycles of decay is this. Water that is absorbed then released over
and over can destory ANYTHING. Metal,wood,concrete,asphalt,etc. People also
forget with landscapes that the soil depthness will increase or decrease
according to how the lay of the land is around a home. I had a water meter
dug back up and it showed since 1940 the meter had been extended five times
just to keep up the depthness of the soild. Tree leaves and natural top soil
washing down by rain fall and the clearing of land by neighbors all changes
the directions and flows of water in soil. If basements get moisture just
remember each time you allow it to cycle from wet to dryness and then again
it takes away the strenght of all that it comes in contact with. Some
problems with mositure can be simply removed by improving water drainage
when it rains. A simple ditch or moving of land to slope desired direction
is helpfull. Treatments are SureWall,Plastic Moisture
Barriers.DeHumidfiers,Asphalt covered walls,sump pumps are all foolish
temperal things that are for creating taxs and power bills.
 A healthy home is a good investment. And how you build it,like location and
what you take away or add to the land makes a diffrence in time.