[Cob] Cob: Washington, DC: Lime plaster

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Sun Feb 1 15:43:52 CST 2004

I will be putting lime plaster on the inside surface of my wall this week. if
anyone would like to see how it goes on. This is the third finish layer, the
scratch coat was clay/straw, the brown coat was clay/sand/horsemanure, this is
the color coat which is one part lime and two parts white sand.
    I have done about half of the wall just learning how to do it and I am
still not sure what the water content should be. The first two batches were
pretty watery, but other than not staying on the trowel when you tip it vertical
it seems to be going on well.
    I have discovered a new tool which seems to help in plastering concave
surfaces like wall niches. It is called a "SHUR-LINE" and is a thin plastic tool
designed for painting window and door frames. I find that I can load it up
with plaster then bend it to match the curvature of the surface being plastered
to apply a smooth, thin, concave surface layer.
    In applying, I spray the dry cob with water, apply plaster, leave the
surface undisturbed for about two or three hours, then spray it again and smooth
out all lines and depressions.
    I will be repeating the entire plastering process on the exterior part of
the wall sometime in May when the weather warms up a little. Also, I still
need to provide three layers of plaster and color on the children's playhouse at
Green Spring Gardens Park, so there will be more chances for people who
missed out on the first series of plastering steps.
    Anyone interested give me a call.
Ed @ 703-360-2316