[Cob] bam photo

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 10:19:31 CST 2004

Bill's right.

Consider how good the fortress looks in comparison to the houses.  Then go
back and read the Gernot Minke pamphlet (I've only posted that URL here
about five times.  Just in case, I've put it below), where he says that in
Equador (?) the old, massive earthen walls have lasted through earthquakes
and earthquakes, where the new, "let's get these done fast, with as much
interior space as possible" ones have collapsed.

Remember that (some) earthbag/superadobe designs have gotten approval in
seismic areas.

Mind you I'd hate to be IN an earthen house during an earthquake.  Any
house, actually.

http://www.gtz.de/basin/publications/books/ManualMinke.pdf
Hidare,,,  I like to think in Truisms.. When considering any
construction, keep in mind these. How something is built can be more
important than what it is made of.. How something is designed can be
more important than what it is made of.. The matterials that are used to
build something can very widely, with an extreem span of results...

In the BAM pictures, what were the curved walls made of???
If they are of COB,,, then just maybe the curvilinear, organic shapes are
  more practical than one would think...   2¢  bill

Find great local high-speed Internet access value at the MSN High-Speed