[Cob] cob and earthquakes

Jennifer Hileman-Reinhart jennlynn at kiva.net
Sat Feb 14 09:12:00 CST 2004

I have read and heard about a home in New Zealand, I think there is
info in The Hand Sculpted House, that was one of the few buildings left
standing after a major earthquake hit.  I think that the idea behind
cob is that it is a monolithic building structure and if you have good
long straw and and enough mass via thick walls firmly attached to a
foundation, the building stops being bits and pieces of materials and
really takes on a life of its own.

The tensile and shear strength of something built well seems phenomenal
to me.

-jenn

Although insecticide use in the U.S. increased more than tenfold since
1945 to date, crop losses to insects have nearly doubled during this
period.

- David Pimintell, Ph.D., Cornell University