[Cob] can bamboo be used as wiring conduit ?

billc_lists at greenbuilder.com billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Sat Feb 14 23:49:29 CST 2004

At 2:47 AM -0500 2/13/04, Mike Swink wrote:
>can bamboo be used as wiring conduit ?

Interesting idea.

For code reasons I don't think you could run loose wire through it -
there'd be too much chance of nicking the insulation and compromising
the integrity of the wire as it passed through the joints in the
bamboo.  Unless of course you figured out some way to insure that the
removal of those joints left a very smooth surface. Ramming a piece
of rebar (a common way of turning bamboo into pipe) certainly
wouldn't be smooth enough.

I don't know if it would be worth the trouble to use bamboo conduit
to run underground cable through a cob wall...  If you anticipate
replacing/upgrading/adding to the wiring at some later date, then it
would likely be worth it, but for most applications you just run the
wire once and leave it for decades.

It might also be a bit tricky to do tight bends and to terminate into
a box. And it might also be tricky to join two or more pieces well
enough to get a long enough run to do what you need without leaving a
lip or notch to catch on when you try to pull the wire.  And that's
one thing you definitely want to avoid (having pulled many miles of
cable myself). Short straight runs sounds like the ticket if you're
thinking about something like this.

--
Bill Christensen
http://greenbuilder.com/contact/