[Cob] can bamboo be used as wiring conduit ?

Quinn quinn1 at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 15 21:57:11 CST 2004

> Epiphanies R Us.....
> What would happen if a person were to make a shallow channel in the Cob
> walls where you wanted to run the wires.. And then, after the wires were
> laid, Cob and plaster over them???
> The you could make an accurate blue print of where the wires were,, to be
> able to access them in the future....  The idea of making a channel,
instead
> of incorporating the wire into the wall ...

Not an engineer, but my feeling is this:  Barring a churning A/C unit somewhere, you probably encounter humidity for some months of the year.  Not dampness, just humidity, but it leaches into the somewhat porous walls in these months.  You get a short in your wires and presto-change-o --your walls are electrified.

Of course not to mention the fact that it wouldn't pass code anywhere (and that could be why.)

Now, maybe I'm wrong, and its certainly an extreme example, but before we go throwing away all the 'new', I think its a good idea to at least reflect on why it might have come about, what purpose it serves.  Some of these gosh-darn laws and rules were built on other people's bad experiences.

Quinn