[Cob] Soundproofing on a traditionally built wall

Dognyard dognyard at stockroom.ca
Tue Feb 17 09:44:26 CST 2004

--- Raduazo at aol.com wrote:
> I do not know if this would help, but I just did a
> cob wall over bamboo lath.
> Bamboo was split with a conventional 5-way splitter
> and applied to a
> conventional stud wall using "horse shoe nails."
> (That is the U-shaped nails sometimes
> used for attaching fabric or wire to a wall.)
>     This was then covered with a layer of cob pushed
> through the openings in
> the lath, followed by a layer of straw/clay plaster,
> a layer of horse
> manure/clay plaster and a final lime plaster.

Got any pictures? For that matter, does anyone have any pictures that
aren't already on a website?

I may never get to build a real house with cob, but I certainly do dream
a lot. If I'm lucky, I'll get to do a pump house, and perhaps re-face a
brick firepalce (although that is a long shot, but who knows). An even
longer shot is one day being able to build at least a partially cob
horse barn. But along with dreaming I also draw plans. The plan drawing
is something I can do along with enjoying my imaginary trip through
cobdom :-).

I've surfed possibly every single cob site on the internet, and really
enjoy seeing pictures of various cob projects, and even more, I like to
see floor plans.

I was wondering if someone, perhaps Charmaine? Would consider having a
page where we could all share floor plans, elevations drawings,
technical considerations on those plans (foundations, roofing), etc.?
Perhaps with a good disclaimer that the plans may not actually work, but
it would be fun to see what others see in their cob home dreams.

So far, one of the nicest floorplans and designs I've seen is Kate's
Mayne Island home in BC. (www.katesmaynecob.com). Its essentially a pole
shed with the cob home built under it. Large, protective overhangs with
skylights over the porches to compensate for the amount of shade an
overhang produces. Very pretty. I can't wait to see interior views as
the project moves along.

My vision involves berming the north side into a hill, with a partial
earthen roof, which then asks the question of how to tie the cob sides
and front into the concrete retaining wall. I have only played with
floor plans at this point, but will start working on an elevation
drawing(s). If nothing else I could put them up on my own site (non-cob
site) for feedback when they're done, but it would be fun to have a
communal site where we could all go see what people dream of doing (or
are actually doing).

Karen Clouston
Alberta