[Cob] Questions about Lime

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 17 22:00:55 CST 2004

Yes, no--just color, yes, and yes.

One can take limestone and grind it up, maybe form it into pellets.  That's
agricultural lime.

Take the same limestone and heat it in a kiln--that's quicklime--it's highly
reactive, quite unstable.

Mix quicklime with water and you get a fairly violent chemical reaction (I
concluded it was a "don't try this at home" for me) and the end result is
hydrated lime, at least after you've dried it.  I think that depending on
color it can be classed as "S" or "N"  (Special and Normal????)

soak the hydrated lime for anything from a couple of days to a couple of
generations and you have lime putty.

I hope this helps.

I hope I've also got all my ducks in a row.

There's also a difference depending on how much magnesium there is in it.

Charmaine Taylor has compiled a booklet on the subject.  It's worth looking
at.  It will not confuse you any more than I just did.  It might make more
sense!  www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
Further question if anyone can tell me....

Is there any signifcant difference between quicklime, type S lime, type
N lime, Agricultural lime, hydrated lime....? I think I'm confusing myself.

Karen Clouston

Say “good-bye” to spam, viruses and pop-ups with MSN Premium -- free trial
offer! http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200359ave/direct/01/