[Cob] Soundproofing , condos, being burnt out

Mary Hooper mjhooper at trccomputing.com
Thu Feb 19 08:48:28 CST 2004

I question from a newbie:

When I lived on the farm, in another lifetime, we were always aware that hay
baled damp could spontaeously combust, thereby setting  the barn on fire.
 Am I correct in assuming that the cob mix that encloses the bales cuts off
oxygen to the straw. Or is it necessary to use some sort of moisture gauge
to ensure the straw  bales really are dry???? Thanks Mary

> Rumor hath it that straw bales don't burn very readily--as long as they
are
> intact--because they are packed tightly enough that there isn't much
oxygen
> in them.  This might well NOT be true of smaller, thinner packages of
straw.