[Cob] Soundproofing , condos, being burnt out

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 19 08:01:50 CST 2004

Rumor hath it that straw bales don't burn very readily--as long as they are
intact--because they are packed tightly enough that there isn't much oxygen
in them.  This might well NOT be true of smaller, thinner packages of straw.
  Some kind of made-for-the purpose sound-deadening sound control surface
probably would work best.  We've all seen egg-crate walls.  But they're a
"gotta be careful AND hope a fire doesn't break out somewhere else in the
building."

I wonder what kind of a wall there is in that condo.  Should--for both noise
and fire prevention--be double, with insulation, but goodness knows the
builders skimped on as much as possible in new buildings, and who knows what
happened in remodeling for condos.

(The one set of condo's I actually worked on had the wonderful design of
nice big water heaters in the attic, either no stairs or flimsy "attic
stairs".  Hey, it gave them the most square feet)

Wax-soaked anything would give me the willies--candle wicks on the ceiling,
only deterrent to fire is lack of oxygen.  Burlap glued on as wallpaper
makes fire marshalls nervous.

"sleeping in PJ's"  Yes.  the time I WAS burnt out of a house I had on
holstein-patterned flannel PJ's.  Better than some of my other
possibilities.

Elizabeth writes:

Wouldn't this replace the "built-to-code" non-flammable insulation with
something not-to-code and flammable?  Might not be a good idea in a building
occupied by other owners.  Even tightly packed straw bricks will burn much
faster and hotter and fiberglass insulation.

I would make the same point re the idea of using wax-soaked burlap to cover
drafty gaps between rafters, mentioned in another thread.  This sounds like
an extremely flammable material.

My sister once lived in a stone dormitory at  a women's college--the shell
of the building was stone, but all the interior walls were insulated with
1920s newspapers.  The fire department estimated the building had a fire
life of (if I remember correctly) 30 seconds.  That is, once a single room
was completely involved in flames, the fire would flash through the
newspaper stuffed walls and engulf the entire building in 30 seconds.  They
took fire drills very seriously.  A girl who chose to sleep in the buff
would be expected to run naked down the stairs and onto the lawn at 2 a.m.
My sister decided PJs were a good idea.

Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide.
http://special.msn.com/home/firsthome.armx