[Cob] cob as mortar for cordwood wall

Taylor Publishing-DirtCheapBuilder tms at northcoast.com
Thu Feb 19 22:03:22 CST 2004

Pack...ceemnt has been used as a traditional additive to dsawdust and
lime for cordwood mortar..

Mixing cob and cement has been done, but  bette to just add lime to the
cob and keep it natural, reduce shrinkige by added sand, and keep the
cement out.

A thin/standard lime plaster is applied thinly  to begin with, so making
two thinner layers should show the tube shapes just fine.

You need to have something adhereing to the bags first if they are
poly..what did you plan to use?  Lime may not stick to the plastic bags
very well.

I can suggest painting the bags with asphalt emulsion, then plastering
over with a thin coat of clay/cob, then lime render, or just lime render
over the AE...lime sticks to it well, and AE sticks to everything DRY.

good luck

I plan on using cob as a mortar for a cordwood wall
I'm going to build on an earthbag foundation. Does
anyone have experience with this?  Should I use
a normal cob mix but use short straw?  Any tips
would be appreciated. Heres the website for
my project:  http://www.owlswamp.com/projects/eb_shed/shed.html
I also plan on applying a lime plaster over the earthbag
foundation.  Does anyone have a recipe for a thin mix
so the earthbag foundation will show through? But will
keep out UV rays?
pack