[Cob] about heating

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 21 09:07:43 CST 2004

Charmaine Taylor carries reprints of the Ken Kern books.  That sounds a lot
like his masonry stove in the book of roughly the same title (?).  His is
more complicated, though, requiring several barrels of different sizes and
plenty of welding, but it does include bringing in and preheating combustion
air, and it works as a cookstove.  Not as pretty as a $35,000 Tulakivi, but
I'd think that for a couple of percent of the price it would look nicer and
nicer, even if you had to hire all the welding done.

Are there two of those books--one fireplaces, one mostly on the
barrel-with-masonry-added stove?  Just now I found the fireplace book but I
think mine says masonry stoves on the cover.

My recollection is that Kern actually prefers fireplaces to in-floor heat
because dust is circulated as the heat rises.  Might apply to  blowers as
well.

http://store.yahoo.com/dirtcheapbuilderbooks/kenkerowbuil.html

FAQ for the cob list would be a great idea!
Mike Swink wrote:

I am a sucker when it comes to books that are forbidden esp when they deal
with heating a home. or generateing electricity etc.
The book I got yesterday I just thrumbed through and it and learned my
lesson I hope , for at least a while.
It was just a 55gallon drum stove surrounded by fist size roock and then
used cob brick wall then strawbale then cob outter wall.

For sure it held the heat and then they put a big box fan to blow air into
home. I am house sick and need a HOUSE DOCTOR.
for I hate the central air that blows dust in my nose.

Is anyone makeing a FAQ for cob list??