[Cob] Re: cob> shaking and AE

Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sat Feb 21 21:44:09 CST 2004

Quinn---AE is asphalt emulsion, and CD is the  AOL( or internet)  CDs sent by mail ad nauseum.  So I use them as a base to paint on a coating of emulsion, then I can cob, lime plaster, papercrete
over the AE as it will host most  materials and sticks well. I send these samples top customers who are ordering books on  the above topics as a 'hands on' example of what it will look like.

a shake test is testing amount of clay in a soil sample.

a clean jar with tight lid is filled to half with clean water, add 1 tsp salt, add a lump of "clay " soil, remove any leaves etc.... you are testing to see if it is all sand, silt or has clay in
it.

I have an online article in the local newspaper on testing clay...with images..
  online building articles at the  EUREKA REPORTER
http://www.eurekareporter.com/Stories/cm-01050401.htm  << finding and testing clay

http://www.eurekareporter.com/Stories/cm-01190401.htm  << low cost  mixer tools
http://www.eurekareporter.com/Stories/cm-02100402.htm  Building with Clay-part 1

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
http://www.papercrete.com