[Cob] Re: cob as cordwood mortar

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Sun Feb 22 02:50:29 CST 2004

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Pack McKibben wrote:

[snip]
> My original plan for the earthbags was to use a mix I found on a "How
> to build a Coracle" website. I figured if this mix would keep out water
> for a boat, it would surely keep out rain. It makes one gallon and
[snip]

I have no idea how the mix you describe will hold up, but two things
you have neglected to consider in the above is that sunlight/ultra-violet
light exposure may rapidly degrade this mixture when used in to seal a
structure, where used in a boat it would typically receive very little
light exposure.  The other possibility of concern is that the solvents
in the mix may dissolve or seriously weaken the earth bags.