[Cob] cob with buttresses , Vaulted rafters???

Bill&Julie wbates at mn.rr.com
Sun Feb 22 09:03:35 CST 2004

Hello,,,  With Vaulted Rafters, you have the weight of the roof trying
to push the top of the walls out. And that is why the Buttressed walls
were built, to hold the walls up and give the energy another path to the
ground.

With The Pantheon ,, unless I really missed something,,  Buttresses were
not needed because the way the roofs were built, they did not push out
at the eves...

Also another way to look at Buttresses, is that they make a " corner "
on the wall. The corner is on the outside of the building. But if you
 look at the way buildings collapse, whether blown down by wind or
bombs or shook down by earth quakes. The corners are the last to go.
This is because the corner changes the direction of the force. What
is pushing on the flat of one wall is now pushing on the edge of the
other wall,, What was a bending of the one wall,, is now the
compression of the other... Or the energy is going inside the wall
through the length of the wall...

Yet another way to look at things,,,  and 2ยข bill