[Cob] cob with buttresses , Vaulted rafters???

Kyle Towers ktowers at locl.net
Sun Feb 22 16:29:42 CST 2004

> With The Pantheon ,, unless I really missed something,,  Buttresses were
> not needed because the way the roofs were built, they did not push out
> at the eves...

    They would push out at the eves but, being round, there is a simple fix
available.  I believe that tension elements were used in domes of that era
(and of much more recent vintage as well).  These were circular bands or
chains of iron around the base of the dome.  St. Peter's in Rome is a good
example.  Just another in the long list of reasons to build round instead of
square (or cross-shaped, in the case of the cathedrals).

Kyle