[Cob] cob with buttresses , Vaulted rafters???

Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sun Feb 22 17:54:54 CST 2004

Buttresses were invented 800+ years AFTER the Pantheon was built ...the  point
was,  it was and still  is a marvel of construciton..no one could duplicate any
of it for 1000 years..which is saying alot..

ALL large buildings had massive posts in them..if you have been in some large
churches  or halls in Europe you see how many there are to support the roof
spans.  it blocks the view ...and the buttresses helped relieve the use of so
many  tall posts.  Walls would; be pushed out by the weight of the roof, so
buttresses convey the stresses along their length.

A recommend a copy of Bill Risbero's  History of Western Architecture...a very
good read for anyone  who wants to know the evolution of it all.

But I still thinbk a cob house with flying buttresses is really a cool idea
from an artistic point of view!

Charmaine Taylor