[Cob] cob stoves & light straw

Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sun Feb 22 13:22:31 CST 2004

Hi Amanda and all...I was just reading an old JQ article with a correction to
the one Frank Andresen wrote ( shown in the link below)  dry CLAY weights in at
1000-1500 per c/ft.  But when a clay slip coats the chips of the the straw the
weight--in the wall- dry --is at 300-500 lbs per c/ft.

so there was a misprint in that article.

In any case I would keep a thick thick layer of cob between any woodchip/straw
wall, and the fire source.

In the ROCKET stove designs they recommend the wood ash itself as the insulator
between the walls of the tin cans to make the best insulation, or crumpled tin
foil..using the least mass to prevent absorption of heat, so the most heat goes
to the cooking.

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
http://www.papercrete.com