[Cob] cob stoves & light straw

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 22 14:26:26 CST 2004

I THINK that the original questions were supposed to be unrelated.  But I
expect you're right, you should probably pretty well treat a light
clay/straw wall as a combustable wall for stove purposes, even if it would
be fine in most house fire situations.

And the weight did seem a bit much to me in the article, but I've very
little experience on weights and buildings--just look it up in the table and
go by that!

But if one was building the Ken Kern woodstove--I think he recommends
fiberglass as an insulator for his 55 gallon drum.  I wonder if one could
use wood ashes instead?  I hate fiberglass.

Charmaine wrote (snipped):
But when a clay slip coats the chips of the the straw the
weight--in the wall- dry --is at 300-500 lbs per c/ft.

so there was a misprint in that article.

In the ROCKET stove designs they recommend the wood ash itself as the
insulator
between the walls of the tin cans to make the best insulation, or crumpled
tin
foil..using the least mass to prevent absorption of heat, so the most heat
goes
to the cooking.

Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide.
http://special.msn.com/home/firsthome.armx