FW: Re: [Cob] Goudi and engineering

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 23 07:50:29 CST 2004

Carl asked me to forward this.  From this, Gaudi seems to have been pushing
the structural capabilities of his materials, but carefully.  One might keep
the "carefully" in mind when falling in love with arches, vaults, the flying
aspect of buttresses, even flowerpots on the tops of columns.  The article
is pretty interesting--talking about recreating historic, no longer extant
buildings digitally with software that was not exactly designed for the
purpose--it might even be animation software. And I left the link in to
a--famous--structural engineering for kids book.

From: carl <carl at cgpl.org (snipped a bit):

Yes simple hanging weights on strings in the case of Goudi, but its the
knowledge to know how to use.  Goudi had samples crushed under hydraulic
pressure so he would know exactly how much psi the columns he made would
hold.  Strings in tension model the compression.  compression and tension
are in some way the same... you can not have compression with out tension.
In "all" compressive buildings the tension is expressed by the forces inside
the stone / building block  ie.... when will they explode or split under
pressure how much pressure.  So the method of strings and weights is simple,
but its the knowledge of how to use it that is not so simple.   In a book
for kids the relationship between and compression and tension forces are
demonstrated by the chains and weights.

Only Goudi knew how to use them and the cost of his buildings were very high
and they took a long time to build  ( limited by the number of skilled
craftsmen that can physical work on the critical path structures )  was in
all the labor to put the right amount of material in the exactly the right
place within an 1/8 of an inch would be my guess.  The craftsmen worked from
the string models.  So many times Goudi would in the middle of his
construction ( looked like it could be finish by others who would work
faster ) would be fired....  and he would be force to take his craftsmen and
his string model with him....  The construction would continue at much
faster pace ....  with out his guidance and then collapse during or just
after completion killing many workman......  Then it would be said that it
was Goudi's fault.

I am a sculptor and the planed masters work of my life is the automation so
to speak of Goudi using natural building materials.  My recent journal
publication may be of interest to you or other members of the group .. ...
http://www.u-aizu.ac.jp/~vilb/cgfV004.pdf

Amanda Peck wrote:

>Fascinating.  I've got a book for kids on structural engineering--they show
>hanging weights on chains to approximate arch shapes--that kind of thing?
>Must be more complicated to size supports and such.
>
>I love the book:
>
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D1556520808/bridgesightsoftwA/103-6977152-4198211

Stay informed on Election 2004 and the race to Super Tuesday.
http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx