[Cob] masonry stoves

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 24 11:11:30 CST 2004

Sacha--thanks for the links!  I may have to load the Swedish one when I'm
not fussing around with other links, had some trouble getting the pictures.

The REALLY EXPENSIVE masonry stoves like the Tulikivi are a) not homemade b)
decidedly not home designed c) designed to be installed by experts d) made
of IMPORTED Finnish soapstone and other ingredients. and e) huge, forming a
wall between two rooms.  The biggest of those don't go in small houses.

They are probably wonderful, but not for a lot of people.  I might not ever
meet someone who has one.

Inexpensive ones--you could add the Ken Kern design--the firebox is made of
two cut steel drums of different sizes, one inside the other, with a steel
plate connecting the two so it's usable for a cookstove as well.  On the
outside there can be coated with clay, rocks, brick might be a little
difficult because of the shape.  If you're a welder, have access to the
drums, etc. it might be worthwhile.  The book is long out of print.
www.dirtcheapbuilder used to have a reproduction copy, but I haven't seen it
lately--although it might be a part of the more expensive fireplaces book.
A couple of pages into a search I couldn't find a picture.

and Ianto Evans is working on a book about his bench stoves, there was a
call for pictures a few weeks ago--long horizontal start to the chimney,
possibly fired from outside the building, covered with cob, maybe kind of
specialized air intake systems.

Is that a gas-fired masonry stove on your site?

Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide.
http://special.msn.com/home/firsthome.armx