[Cob] question for Sasha on Masonry stoves

Mary Lou McFarland louiethefifth at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 24 15:29:32 CST 2004

The book that I read about masonry stove construction stressed the
importance of having a flue opening that could be held slightly open to
prevent carbon monoxide (dioxide?) poisoning and also a place to clean any
ash or buildup out of the air chambers, so how do you handle that?  Also, I
have a kiln and fire porcelain and ceramics so maybe I can help with your
tiles cracking.  Usually there are three causes. 1) you need to let them air
dry longer before firing  2)  if cool down and the heating up process isn't
slow enough then you will get a thermal shock resulting in a crack  3) the
tile isn't properly supported or"proped" during firing.  Acurved tile can be
supported with a piece of the same material that is made of, so the
shrinkage will be the same.  Here we use this cottony like stuff that can
withstand the temperatures and we just order from ceramic/ hobby supply
companies.  If your tile is to be flat and you want it to stay that way then
scratch a couple of grooves across the back and fire it on a thin bed of
silica sand. The sand acts like little ball bearings and lets the piece move
to accomodate the shrinkage, otherwise it will warp and then crack.  Hope
that helps you out a little.

Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide.
http://special.msn.com/home/firsthome.armx