[Cob] light straw R-value

umbrella at netspace.net.au umbrella at netspace.net.au
Tue Feb 24 21:33:53 CST 2004

I'm wondering if the R-value of light straw could be compared to that of
aerated concrete, for which there must be plenty of data.  I assume rammed
earth or adobe has fairly similar R-value to concrete, so as its density is
reduced by having more air pockets the R-value may increase in a similar way to
aerated concrete.  I can't believe that mud is actually worse than concrete, as
data from below indicate.

http://www.litebuilt.com/English-T3.html

has a table showing R-value vs. density of aerated concrete

http://coloradoenergy.org/procorner/stuff/r-values.htm

says poured concrete is 0.08 / inch

http://www.cmit.csiro.au/news/viewpress.cfm/51

says a 200mm mud wall has R = 0.4, about 0.05 / inch

This email was sent from Netspace Webmail: http://www.netspace.net.au