[Cob] icynene

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 25 09:33:26 CST 2004

I said in another post that a friend who builds likes it a lot.  But I
didn't see, for instance, an MSDS on their site.   It may be there, but I
didn't see it.

http://www.icynene.com

They do claim Lung Association endorsement.

And there's this statement--not what it does, what it doesn't contain plus a
table of characteristics--in their "health" brochure:
_____________

100% water-blown - does NOT contain formaldehyde, CFCs, HCFCs, HFCs or HFAs

Recommended for individuals who are
chemically sensitive or suffering with
allergies or asthma

Flame retarding - contributes no fuel in the event of fire
_________________________

Environmental Characteristics
• CFCs, HCFCs, HFCs or HFAs none
• Formaldehyde none
• Corrosiveness negative
• VOCs after 30 days none detectable
Flammability Characteristics
• Flame spread ASTM E84 <20
• Smoke developed <400
• Fuel contribution 0
• Oxygen index 23
Physical Properties
• Density 0.5 lb/cf
• Thermal Resistance R-3.6/in
Heat flow reduction through 1” 72.7%
Heat flow reduction through 3.5” 92.2%
Heat flow reduction through 5.5” 95.0%
Heat flow reduction through 10” 97.3%
• Vapor permeance - 5” 10 perms
• Sound transmission class* 37
• Noise reduction coefficient 70
_________________

Not all that informative.  And it tells us nothing about manufacturing
conditions.  An internet acquaintance who is VERY chemically sensitive might
not like that no detectable VOC's after 30 days.  Sounds like there are
some.  VOC = organic solvents that dissipate in the air, e.g. toluene,
ether, I guess that carbon tet was one.  Some awful, some not, a lot
guaranteed to give somebody trouble.

Mary asks--with good reason:
What is this stuff made of? I've not heard of it before. One thing I try to
think of in this most environmentally destructive 21st century is what
things are made of and what happens to the people and the environment where
products are manufactured. I kind of think, from the name, that that is a
consideration here. Thanks for any info. Mary

Say “good-bye” to spam, viruses and pop-ups with MSN Premium -- free trial
offer! http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200359ave/direct/01/