[Cob] post&Beam infill questions

Marlin lightearth at onebox.com
Wed Feb 25 17:41:32 CST 2004

Sounds to me like there's a possibility of developing cracks between the wood and the cob as they expand at different rates, that's the beauty of posts outside the footprint of the cob building I guess. They become porch posts but still hold up the roof..........

<snip>
   John, you mentioned that the cob needs to be tied in to the post and
   beam structure.  Can you, or others, help me through the specifics.
   So far my floor plan is about 20' by 20, but it isn't really square.
   My idea is to keep the roof simple by making it 20' by 20' square, but
   underneath it I want the walls to bend and curve a bit.  So lets say I
   have a post at each corner, and then one one it the middle of each
   side, so 10' apart around the perimiter (does that sound
   reasonable?).  Between each of those ten foot sections I want to have
   some freedom to bend and curve. So, the walls would be tied in to the
   posts at each side, and then along the top, or buried near the top I
   would run a wood beam (connected sections of pole beams to match the
   curve of the wall) and these would be connected in to the 10' spaced
   posts.