[Cob] Re: Icynene and isocyanates

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 26 07:50:51 CST 2004

When I was first in the paint department of a large manufacturing plant,
isocyanates were a fact of life for automotive type paint.  Not everyone is
affected, but if you are sensitive to them, ANY is too much.  I've never
been sure if I am, the test at the time had a reputation for being
unreliable both ways, but I did have severe asthma as long as I stayed in
the department.  The PAINTERS got fresh air supply in their respirators,
those of us who worked near the leaky paint booths were told "the air is
fine for the painters, we don't have to test it outside the booths."  Later
I asked about isocyanates and was told by the paint rep, "Oh, we don't use
isocyanates any more, we use POLYISOCYANATES."  I've always assumed that
meant "we hope they all clump."

So, yes, I'm sure that the Deerwood plant DOES have to meet heavy duty
environmental standards.

And it may mean that Icynene is not for anyone who MIGHT have an isocyanate
problem.

That's probably where the name came from, too.
the Deerwood plant had to meet some of the most stringent environmental
standards in the wood processing industry."

Find and compare great deals on Broadband access at the MSN High-Speed